The Wandering Ben
Based in Toronto, Canada
A Case of Distrust is a narrative mystery from 1924 San Francisco. Play as private detective Phyllis Cadence Malone in this historical 2D adventure game. Explore underground speakeasies, smoke-filled billiard halls, classic barber shops, and more. Catch suspects in lies by using evidence, statements, and your wits. Intrinsic challenges face our heroine, as she struggles against a pushback on emancipation, leading to many doubts, both internal and external. Uncover the truth in a mystery full of deception!
This is the game Ben Wander left AAA development to make, founding The Wandering Ben in 2015. Having worked at BioWare and Visceral, Wander wanted to create dramatic stories in settings less-explored by large game studios, focussing on individuals rather than world-saving. This game combines an emotional narrative, a hardboiled mystery adventure, and a historical setting. Wander creates the visual art, code, design, and writing. Mark "Marowi" Wilson -- a veteran of Team Bondi, BioWare, and Riot -- designs all of the audio.
- A hardboiled mystery, working past deceptive characters towards the truth
- 1924 San Francisco with historically accurate details
- Saul Bass inspired visuals and scene transitions
- Finger-snapping music that gives style to the roaring 20s
- Themes of poverty, racism, and emancipation that tie into contemporary issues
Launch Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Paste Magazine's 10 Best Games of Show" E3 2017
- "Game Informer's Best Indie Games of Show" E3 2017
- "Akiba Press' Pick of the Best Indie Games" E3 2017
- "Twinfinite's 5 Most Interesting IndieCade Games" E3 2017
- "Indie MEGABOOTH Official Selection" 2017
- "IndieCade Official Selection" 2017
- "IndieCade Showcase @ E3 Official Selection" 2017
- "Casual Connect Asia Offical Selection" 2017
- "Stunning two-dimensional noir silhouettes... perfectly mirror the vintage cloak-and-dagger tone of the narrative"
- Luke Winkie, PC Gamer
- "Impressed me with its nuanced, careful construction of its milieu and characters, and the resonant comparisons it draws with the world of today"
- Jen Glennon, Newsweek's Player.One
- "It evokes its setting of 1924 San Francisco perfectly"
- Holly Green, Paste Magazine
- "It’s a beautiful game with an intriguing premise, setting, time period and gameplay loop"
- Tyler Robertson, Hardcore Gamer
- "A stylish noir detective story [with a] distinctive graphical style"
- Pascal Tekaia, Adventure Gamers
- "The game's writing [is] downright phenomenal"
- Taylor Danielle, Twinfinite
About The Wandering Ben
The Wandering Ben is where Ben Wander creates his own narrative-driven adventure games and collaborates with other creatives.
More information on The Wandering Ben, our logo & relevant media are available here.
A Case of Distrust Credits
Founder & Director, The Wandering Ben
Mark "Marowi" Wilson
Audio Design, Freelancer
Talent Producer, Editor
Roadie, Additional Art